Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Tues. June 26th

Black Bean Dip Wrap with Veggies with Cantaloupe for Lunch!


Daily Tidbit:  I love Pyrex!  For so many reasons!  They provides safe storage to foods in your fridge and in your freezer and also happen to be safe in microwaves and in ovens!  Also,  they list their capacity on the bottom.  So today I knew I was eating 1 cup of Cantaloupe, simply because I used a 1 cup Pyrex bowl from my cabinet.  I have 2 whole sets of Pyrex along with some other odds and ends for baking.  They are clear, so you always know what is inside of them, and they easily stack up in the fridge for optimum storage and use of space :)  Also their lids make a great seal as long as you don't throw them into the dishwasher which warps them over time.   Also they are totally affordable.   

But most importantly, why use all those plastic containers with questionable ingredients and worry about leaching chemicals into your food and into your family's bodies, when there is Pyrex?  Proving to last a long time with heavy use in my kitchen so far!  Yes - I have had friends make jokes at my Pyrex filled fridge; to me it is a beautiful thing which has reduced my worries about my family's health and has increased my organization, resulting in a more relaxed happier life.  Yes, I love Pyrex!


According to Scientific American, studies have shown that these chemicals can promote human breast cancer cell growth and lower sperm counts. Pregnant women, infants and children are especially at risk.  
http://www.moneycrashers.com/dangers-plastic-food-containers-bottles-bisphenol-a/


For more on the food/ plastic/ leaching chemicals, check out this article from Scientific American "Plastic (Not) Fantastic":
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=plastic-not-fantastic-with-bisphenol-a



Blueberries are a delicious and healthy addition to any meal!

Breakfast:  Oatmeal with Walnuts
1/2 cup plain Oatmeal (this is a pre-cook measurement)
microwaved in Fat Free Milk
2 tbsp Walnuts
2 shakes of Plain Cinnamon
1/2 cup fresh Blueberries
5 oz. OJ
Regular Coffee, black



Lunch:  Vegan Black Bean Veggie Wrap with Veggies
1 Medium Whole Wheat Tortilla Wrap
Black Bean Dip (Recipe below)
Red Onions, Carrots & 1/2 Avocado
1 cup of fresh Cantaloupe 
Water with Lime
 


Black Bean Dip on Whole Wheat Wrap


Black Bean Dip with Carrots & Red Onion


Avocado on top!

Final Product!


Snack:  1/4 cup dry roasted, lightly salted Peanuts, Fat Free Milk






Sesame Shrimp Veggie Blast for Dinner!


Dinner:  Sesame Shrimp Veggie Blast!
I used the same recipe I concocted a few weeks ago to serve with Salmon.  We loved this dish and it was just as awesome with Shrimp!


Sautéed Red Pepper flake, Ginger & Garlic paste (made in my food processor)  in Canola oil for a couple minutes.  Then I added: Yellow & Red Bell Peppers, Zucchini and Carrots and cooked until browned.  In a bowl I mixed 1 tbsp of each: sesame oil, brown sugar, corn starch and then ½ cup soy sauce and a 1/2 cup chicken broth.  Once the sauce thickened I threw in the Shrimp and covered the pan until they were cooked through.  Then topped it with scallions & toasted sesame seeds.


Recipe with Salmon from June 11th: http://whatamyatetoday.blogspot.com/2012/06/mon-june-11th.html

Picture to show bowl depth/ portion size - it is a lot of Veggies!!


Sesame Shrimp Close-up!



Dessert:  Gala Apple, Water




Amy's Black Bean Dip Recipe:

In food processor, add the following ingredients:

1 large clove of Garlic
1 can of Black Beans (preferably no-salt added, rinsed and drained)
Juice from 1/2 Lime
Handful of Cilantro
Salt, a couple shakes
1-2 tbsp of EVOO

Process until nice and smooth.  Use as a dip, or as I did today as the spread for a wrap!  YUM.  And good for you!




No comments:

Post a Comment