Total Pageviews

Friday, December 14, 2012

Thurs. Dec 13th

Protein Packed Pumpkin Romaine Salad with Flaxseed

Daily Tidbit:   FLAXSEED.  I've been reading about it for what feels like years, but it was only last week that I finally bought my first bag of Flaxseed to reap some of the Omega-3's, Protein & Fiber Benefits. So I put it to good use today by trying it with Breakfast & Lunch.

Verdict:  LOVED the flavor in my Oatmeal this morning and LOVED the flavor and texture in my Protein Packed Pumpkin Romaine Salad at Lunch (pictured above).  

Flaxseed
Flaxseed Nutrition Info
Flaxseed Nutrition Info

Still not sure about it?  Check this out:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/benefits-of-flaxseed


And, if you are pregnant, have blood clotting issues or other health concerns, read this:

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-991-FLAXSEED.aspx?activeIngredientId=991&activeIngredientName=FLAXSEED


>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
   


Plain Oatmeal with Cinnamon, Walnuts & Flaxseed

Breakfast: Plain Oatmeal with Walnuts & Flaxseed
1/2 cup Plain uncooked Oatmeal, Microwaved with 1 cup Fat Free Milk and topped with:

2-3 shakes of Pure Ground Cinnamon,
1 tbsp Roasted Flaxseed, &
2 tbsp Plain chopped Walnuts
5oz Orange Juice
Regular Coffee, 1/2 tsp 100% Cacao Dark Chocolate Cocoa, splash of Fat Free Milk


*The Cocoa adds such a nice velvety chocolatey flavor to the coffee, it is almost like a Hot Cocoa-Coffee!  The Cocoa I'm using is 100% Cacoa Cocoa, with no other ingredients, and no Sugar :)  Just a little trick I've figured out to get some more Dark Chocolate Antioxidants and yummy-ness into my day!




>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>



Protein Packed Pumpkin Romaine Salad with Flaxseed

Lunch: Protein Packed Pumpkin Romaine Salad
Salad, as pictured, made by mixing the following ingredients:
2 cups chopped Romaine
1/2 cup Black Beans (canned, drained, rinsed)
3 tbsp chopped Red Onions
1 Hard Boiled Egg
1 tbsp Roasted Flaxseed 
1/2 Avocado, diced

Dressing:  1/4 cup Pure Pumpkin Puree + 2 tbsp Balsamic Vinaigrette  
Plain Hot Green Tea


The easiest way to make this Salad is to get a large bowl and mix the Pumpkin Puree with the Balsamic Vinaigrette first.  Then toss the Romaine in the Dressing.  Then plate it and start layering on all the other toppings.  Beautiful looking AND delicious!  

Okay, I didn't dream this salad up in my head, I actually just emptied out my Pyrex filled fridge and took at look at everything I had and needed to eat and came up with this combination.    It was an awesome surprise that it was so delicious - creamy, sweet, crunchy and very filling due to all the Protein in there:  the Egg, the Flaxseed, the Beans, and even the Romaine adds to the Protein Punch of this Salad!
 
 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 
 
Snack: 20 Plain Almonds, Fat Free Milk

 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


Snack: 3 small Turkey Meatballs in Organic No-Salt Added Marinara


>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 
 

Dinner: Ladies night out!
A large group of us went out for a nice dinner at an Italian Restaurant.  Everything was 'family style' meaning that platter after platter of food was brought to us over the course of a couple hours.  Needless to say, I ate a tad bit more than usual!


Antipasti

Antipasti:  Plate of Grilled and Marinated Vegetables & Cheese
I had a little of everything on this plate, except the pepper, and there was "Special Bread" as the waiter called it - I can't believe I didn't manage to get a shot of this - it was a sliced loaf of white country bread topped with Sauteed Spinach, Garlic, Black Olives and served with large hot peppers.  I had 2-3 pieces of the bread and spinach over the course of the meal, dipping them in the EVOO & spice mixture provided - yum yum yum!
White Wine


Caesar Salad & Gorgonzola Salad

Salad:  Caesar Salad & Gorgonzola Salad 
(I had a 2nd helping of the Gorgonzola - yummy!)
Water


Gnocchi in Tomato Sauce & Broccoli Garlic Pasta

Pasta Course:  Gnocchi in Tomato Sauce & Broccoli Garlic Pasta


Eggplant Parmesan & Chicken Marsala

Main Event:  Eggplant Parmesan & Chicken Marsala  
(I went for 2nds on the Eggplant Parm - one of my favs!)
White Wine


Cannoli, Tiramisu & Lemon Ricotta Cheesecake

My plate: Cannoli, Tiramisu & Lemon Ricotta Cheesecake

Dessert:  Cannoli, Tiramisu & Lemon Ricotta Cheesecake
You know I had to try a little of each!  That Cheesecake was decadent and must admit to 2 more servings of that along with another bite of Tiramisu, I could not resist!  

We were also served a digestivo, a strong Lemon smelling Liquor that aids the body with digestion.  Suffice to say it was strong, so I had just a tiny sip, but totally understand why such a thing is needed after a meal like this!

Though my Calorie, Sodium and Fat intake was likely through the roof tonight, I am happy that I didn't deprive myself, but instead stuck to my basic philosophy on eating out:   

Focus on eating the things you don't typically eat at home and enjoy yourself; life is short!




>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

No comments:

Post a Comment