Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Chicken Marsala

Chicken Marsala


Today's Tidbit:  I honestly don't think I have ever eaten Chicken Marsala, but something inspired me to try it last week.  I love Mushrooms and Garlic and Red Wine, so how could I not like it?  I loved it!  Of course I looked at lots of recipes online and created my own healthier version, but guess what?  It didn't taste like a healthier version type of meal; it was luscious and rich and super yummy!  

This can be eaten in all sorts of ways.  I cooked the dish and then wilted a cup of Spinach on top, folded it in and served it all over a cup of cooked Spaghetti Squash.    My husband put his on an open faced sandwich and toasted it with Provolone Cheese.  You could of course serve it over Pasta or Mashed Potatoes as well, depending on your mood.  Here is the recipe:




Chicken Marsala Recipe:
Serves: 2


1 tbsp Canola Oil
6 Chicken Breast Tenders
1 large package of White Button Mushrooms
1/2 large Sweet Onion, diced
1 tbsp Butter
4 cloves of Garlic, thinly sliced
1 cup Red Wine (I used Shiraz)
1 cup Organic Low Sodium Chicken Broth
1 tbsp Flour
Salt, to taste



Brush Chicken with Canola Oil and season with Salt.  Coat bottom of heated Dutch Oven with remaining Canola Oil, heat and add Chicken.  Cook on each side for 3 minutes, allowing to brown and then remove from Pan, working in batches if needed until all Chicken is cooked.  Once all the Chicken is cooked and has been removed from the pan add Mushrooms to pan and saute until beginning to brown.  Add Butter and diced Onion to pan and saute until Onions are soft.  Add a little Salt, to season, mix and then add thinly sliced Garlic and saute while stirring another 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.  Turn off heat (if using Gas) and add the Red Wine.  Turn Gas back on and allow dish to come to boil and then simmer until the liquid is reduced in half.  Then add the Chicken Broth, saving 2 tbsp of Broth on the side to mix with the Flour.  In a separate dish mix Flour with Broth (until Flour dissolves into liquid) and then pour into Pan and allow sauce to thicken.   Add Chicken back to the Pan, allow to heat through and then serve!



*Last year I created the What Amy Ate Today blog to share my personal story of losing over 40 pounds by making simple healthy changes to the way I was eating and to show the real life picture of what my daily food choices looked like simply by posting every single thing that I ate for 9 straight months!  I wanted to show that it is possible to lose weight and be healthy without being on a set diet or without starving or depriving yourself of anything.  I make healthy choices whenever I can, but I am a normal person living a real life and I want to enjoy it, so I indulge in special treats regularly too.   


It has been a great journey for me, further motivating me to seek out new foods, new recipes and new ways to prepare and eat more healthily and get more Vitamins and Nutrients (and Energy!)  into my day.   I look forward to continuing this journey by highlighting special recipes, new foods and/ or preparations that I discover or create, alongside any helpful Health information or news that I come across through the above "Today's Tidbit".  Thanks for joining me on my journey to better health and better living!

No comments:

Post a Comment